HAPPY 106th BIRTHDAY, GEORGE!!

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

It is difficult to believe that a whole year has gone by since I published a post to celebrate George’s 105th birthday.   Ah well, time does fly when one is having  fun and it is fun for me to have this blog to George.  My goal is to try to present the real George to  people instead of the caddish facade he presented to the public. George was a very private and a very vulnerable man and he sought shelter from the public eye within his cad facade. George was so very private and averse to publicity that he was married to his first wife for TWO years before the marriage was discovered.

George arrived in this world early on the morning of Tuesday, July 3, 1906 in St. Petersburg, Russia.  This will be somewhat lengthy, but I want to give George’s account  of his birth as, using rather British tongue in cheek humor,  he describes it on the first page of  his wonderful, well-written, and witty memoir,  Memoirs of a Professional Cad (New York: Putnam, 1960).

“On July 3, 1906, the world was at peace.  Nothing of any consequence seemed to be happening in the capital cities of any of its countries.  Nothing disturbed the summer lethargy of its population.  Everywhere people dozed contentedly, unaware that an event of major importance was taking place in St. Petersburg, Russia.  At number 6 Petroffski Ostroff, to Margaret and Henry Sanders, a son of dazzling beauty and infinite charm was being born.  It was I.

I emerged somewhat reluctantly from my mother’s womb at 6 o’clock in the morning.  My father, who had been warned of the impending event only a short time prior to its occurrence, had rushed off to get the midwife who lived across the Neva on the Vassilsky Ostroff.  He drove in a droshky to the Toochkoff Bridge, a wooden bascule, or drawbridge, which was opened sometimes in the summer to let the river traffic through.  It was opening when he reached it.  Alighting from the carriage and disregarding the warning cries of the boatmen, he leapt across the widening gap and ran the rest of the way to the midwife’s house.  He brought her back across the river in a rowboat, and in a state of exhaustion, pushed her into my mother’s room, where she accomplished a successful delivery.”

I know we fans are all very thankful for the successful delivery!  I hope all of you will join me in toasting George with a dry vodka martini  on his 106 Birthday next Tuesday, July 3rd!  Cheers, George, and the “best of British luck” to you!

The slide show is called “Some Happy George Photos, Plus a Few More” (Did your recognize Gene Tierney in the photo where she is dancing with George? She is 5’7″ and you know she must be wearing heels and George still dwarfs her! He is just so tall and magnificient!)

14 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Anne
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 19:25:30

What a wondeful — and truly Russian — story about that bridge 😀 Happy 106th birthday, our dearest and beloved Mr. Sanders, and, may I add, с Днем рождения, Джордж!

2. Judy Robinson
    Jun 29, 2012 @ 19:36:47

Anne, is that Russian for Happy Birthday? I will email you on his birthday so we can share the joy!

3. kathy
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 19:57:42

Well here’s ‘chin chin’, ‘bottoms up’ and ‘That will put hairs on your chest’ to the old boy. Cast your mind back to the film ‘A Fish called Wanda’ now could you see George palying THAT Russian scene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After you have stopped screaming ill expect a reply.

Thanks Judy for putting sharing this with everyone.

4. Judy Robinson
    Jun 30, 2012 @ 20:08:22

Kathy, I missed that movie. You must describe it! I just sent you a vital email. Will you check your email for me, please.
    I love working on my George blog. It gives me such pleasure to praise him!

5. margaret ray
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 15:21:14

A very Happy Birthday dear George–
    Hi Judy–I came across an interesting piece about George in James Mason’s autobiography in which George and James discussed plans for setting up a very high class cabinet furniture business–ostensibly for Tom -George’s brother –who wasn’t doing so well at the time. Whether it came to anything or not I don’t know but it does show that George always looked after his family–he also brought his parents from Britain to California for the duration of the Second World War.I think his father appeared in one of George’s films -International Settlement-in 1938.
    Do enjoy your dry martini on Tues next!

6. Judy Robinson
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 15:39:28

Thanks for the comment, Margaret. Yes, George always took good care of his family. In VanDerBeets book there is a photo of George with his father, Henry, on the set of the 1943 movie “Appointment In Berlin” in which his father had a small speaking part. And of course got his brother Tom the role as the Falcon’s brother in 1942. In addition to being incredibly handsome, brillant, and talented man he was a wonderfully caring man. The world was lucky to have had him here.

7. margaret ray
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 21:31:45

Of course, it was Appointment in Berlin–I haven’t seen either of these films yet -hard to come across here –not to mention the autobiography– for which I’m saving up! Thanks for all the wonderful photos–where do you find them all?

8. Judy Robinson
    Jul 01, 2012 @ 22:35:39

I find most on Ebay. I have spent a fortune on George–he is very much worth it! I have Appointment. The quality of the image is not great but I would be happy to send you a copy if you would like.

9. margaret ray
    Jul 02, 2012 @ 11:43:26

Judy, you are so kind -that would be wonderful. He is worth every penny and more–if you e-mail me I can reply with my address etc.I will of course pay you for it –and you can spend it on even more wonderful photos.
    Late this evening I hope to watch some of ” The Best House in London”-just the clips on Youtube –George is so funny in this –there’s no doubt he was a genius as he could turn his hand to anything! Thanks so much again for your kind offer

10. margaret ray
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 10:48:31

There’s a fabulous new piece by wobble108 on Youtube–it’s called Here’s one for the lovely ladies–you’ll love it!

11. Judy Robinson
    Jul 03, 2012 @ 13:05:51

Margaret, I haven’t had a chance to check my email for your address. I will do thaat today.

12. margaret ray